Resistors are dispensable components for PCB design, but a little of green hands take a close look at them. Today, we will introduce one of popular resistor-10k ohm resistor. You can acquire what 10k Resistor is, how it features, and how it is applied in the following text.
What Is 10k Resistor?-Definition
10k ohm resistor refers to a resistor with a resistance value of 10,000 ohms. If the current passing through is 1 amp, the voltage it carries are 10 volts.
Color Band of 10k Resistor
There are two ways of color band arrangement to express the resistance value of 10k ohms.
- Brown band, black band, orange band, color band for error range
- Brown band, black band, black band, red band, color band for error range
No matter what type of expression of the resistance value, the color bands are all printed on the surface of the resistor to easy and direct identification.
What Is the Difference Between 1k and 10k Ohm Resistors?
There is a large difference in the resistance value, leading to the huge gap in current limitation ability, and voltage regulation ability. Besides, due to different resistance values, their size is various, too. Generally speaking, 10k ohm resistors take up more space to contain resistance materials. Thirdly, the color bands are different since they are definitely in different resistance values.
Why Use 10k Resistor?-Features
- 10k resistors have a good command of limiting the flow of current. In a circuit, the amount of current is determined by both voltage and resistance. The presence of such a high resistance makes the current passing through it very small, thus limiting the current of the entire circuit. This is very useful in situations where the value of the current needs to be controlled, such as protecting components in the circuit from damage caused by excessive current.
- 10k resistors can stabilize the operation of the circuit. In some special circuits, we need to keep the voltage in the circuit stable and free from external interference.
- 10k ohm resistor also have special applications. For example, when measuring resistance, we often use the partial voltage method-connecting a high resistance value resistor to measure the resistance that required measurement. High-resistance resistor can effectively reduce the size of the current, thus reducing the measurement error.
- In addition, in some high-voltage circuits, high-resistance resistors are often used to prevent excessive current and protect other electronic components.
Where Is 10k Resistor Used-Application
Power Supply Circuits& Amplifier Circuit
In some circuits that require precise control of voltage or current, such as power supply circuits and amplifier circuits, 10k resistors performs so well.
Moreover, in some sensor circuits, 10k resistors are often used as feedback elements to convert the sensor’s signal into an electrical signal. For example, in a temperature sensor, a 10k resistor is adopted for converting a temperature signal into a voltage signal.
Input & Output Circuit Module
It is widely applied in Input&output circuit modules, such as input/output module 4141, input/output module 5155, etc.
In high-voltage circuits, it is frequently used as choke or in conjunction with capacitors to build filtering circuits.
Temperature Protection Circuit
Temperature protection circuit is commonly equipped with 10k resistor. In induction cooker and ceramic stoves, high-power components, such as power tubes and thyristors, may suffer breakdown if the temperature is too high. And, 10k thermistor are usually used as detection components. Once the temperature reaches the limit, the circuit is cut off so as to protect these important components.
Is 10k resistor good for LED?
10K resistor will limit the current to about 1 mA and offer a great safeguard for LEDs and IC against excessive. However, if you want make the LEDs brighter, we highly recommend 3 to 5 K.
What Is The Purpose of 10k ohm Resistor Grounding Push Button?
It’s a pull down resistor which aiming at setting the voltage of the Arduino input to 0 V when the button is open. It just sets a default voltage value to the connected node.
If you are designing PCB requiring resistors with big resistance value, check whether 10k resistor is suitable for you board. If you want more help about designing PCB, feel free to contact us.