HDI PCB fabrication is rapidly becoming the ultimate solution for smaller, more efficient, and more durable PCBs. High-Density Interconnect (HDI) is a high-performance design that is characterized by its high density of components and routing Interconnections that use micro vias, blind and buried via or micro via techniques, and built-up Print Circuit Boards (PCBs) laminations. HDI PCB design is preferable for reducing the overall cost; this is done by decreasing the size and the number of layers as compared to a standard technology PCB design. It also offers better electrical performance and is one of the key technologies driving advancements in PCB electronics.
HDI design requires the latest advances in the PCB interconnection technology: With the latest state of the art PCB technology, HDI PCBs can be defined as those printed circuit boards that make use of some or all of the following features; Blind and buried via or micro via techniques, high signal performance considerations, micro vias, and built-up PCB laminations. High-density Interconnection or HDI is a PCB technology that came to the limelight close to the end of the 20th century. Its popularity grew tremendously due to the numerous advantages it holds over the traditional PCBs.
The advanced multilayer deployed by HDI PCB manufacturing allows you to integrate multiple layers to create a multi-layered PCB.
1. Burial through and through channels
2. Use core-free structure with layer pairs.
3. Passive substrate, no electrical connection
4. By surface to surface offset
5. Two / more HDI layers and via vias
6. A core-free alternative structure using a pair of layers.
One feature of HDI boards is that they usually come with apertures within the range of 3.0 to 6.0mil as well as a line width within the range of 3.0 to 4.0 mil. These features allow you to minimize the pad size significantly to fit into a much broader layout within each unit area.
Another very essential feature of HDI boards is its blind vias, micro vias, and buried vias that are less than 0.0006mm in diameter. The various vias allow you to be able to save space on your HDI board.
A blind via and a through-hole via have similar characteristics that at a point inside the board instead of passing through. A buried via connects only the internal layers of the board, not including external layers.
These features give the HDI PCBs a higher circuitry density as compared to regular PCBs.
- HDI PCBs can be populated on both sides of the board to allow designers to incorporate more components onto smaller boards.
- It is more rugged and solid to make way for increased strength and limited perforations.
- Because Tobit reduces power consumption, it can extend the battery life of handheld devices and other battery-powered devices.
- Elongates device battery life through reduced thermal degradation.
- It also allows for higher and more efficient density transmission and computing in smaller end-user products, such as military equipment, smartphones, medical devices, and aerospace equipment.
- HDI PCBs assure more reliability in transmission when you get to the point of mass production in your PCB design, if the BGA and GFP packages you are using is smaller, HDI PCBs have more space to contain more dense BGA and QFP packages as compared to traditional PCB technology.
- There is less heat transfer because heat travels farther before it can escape the HDI PCB.HDI PCBs generally pave wat for the creation of smaller, more efficient, and more durable products with its design and overall performance still intact
• Medical Care
The HDI PCB, in recent times, has driven some major waves of change in the medical industry. These days medical devices are mostly HDI since they are able to fit into small devices like a lab, impacts, and imaging equipment. When it comes to diagnosing diseases and provision of life support, medical types of equipment play a very important role, especially in Diagnostic, monitoring and peacemaker facilities. The inner parts of a patient can be observed with the use of miniaturized sized cameras for the right diagnosis to be established. Interesting enough, the cameras keep getting smaller but the picture resolution and quality don’t get compromised. These advancements are able to be contained because of the HDI PCB technology. Colonoscopies are much more painless due to these advancements.
Car manufacturers are looking out for small-sized PCBs because of their ability to save more space in the car. With futuristic car brands like Tesla, electronic device integrations are Paramount for car manufacturers to provide better driving experiences for their customers.
• Smartphones and tablets
• Wearable technology
• Military and aerospace equipment
Standard Microvia PCB Microsection
Advanced Circuits Microvia Capacities
The chart below shows the Advanced Circuits HDI or Laser Drilled Microvia (μVia) capabilities.
|Smallest Laser Microvia||0.003"|
|Largest Laser Via||0.010"|
|Microhole aspect ratio||0.75:1 standard / 1:1 advanced|
|Capture Pad Size||μVia +0.008" Std. / μVia +0.006" Adv.|
|Landing Pad Size||μVia +0.008" Std. / μVia +0.006" Adv.|
|Type I Capabilities||Yes|
|Type II Capabilities||Yes|
|Type III Capabilities||Design Dependent|
|Copper Filled Micro vias||Yes|
|Layer||1 to 12 layers|
|Materials||FR-4, CEM-1, CEM-3, High TG, FR4 halogen-free, FR-1, FR-2, aluminum|
|Maximum Finish Thickness||0.2 to 4.0mm (0.02-0.25")|
|Maximum Finish Board Size||500 x 500mm (20 x 20")|
|Minimum Drilled Hole Size||0.25mm (10mil)|
|Minimum Line Width||0.10mm (4mil)|
|Minimum Line Spacing||0.10mm (4mil)|
|Surface Finish / Treatment||HALS / HALS lead-free, chemical tin, chemical gold, immersion gold, and plating gold|
|Copper Thickness||0.5 to 3.0oz|
|Solder Mask Colors||Green/black / White / Red / Blue|
|Inner Packing||Plastic bag|
|Outer Packing||Standard carton packing|
|Hole Tolerance||PTH ±0.076, NTPH ±0.05|
|Certifications||UL, ISO 9001, ISO 14001, RoHS Directive-compliant and UL|
|Profiling punching||Routing, V-cut, beveling|
MOKO Technology Ltd was founded in 2006 and is the leading experts at PCB design, embedded engineering, PCB manufacturing, and PCB assembly in China. We provide PCBs from a 2-50 layer for fabrication, which includes HDI, Flex, Rigid, and Rigid-flex boards. We also offer from low quantity to mass production, with high quality available at a low cost. So if you are looking to get the best and affordable HDI PCB manufacturing service, why don’t you order from MOKO Technology